Vitamin C is a naturally – occurring nutrient crucial to the human body in many ways.
From building a strong immune system to promoting proper muscle function and increasing the body’s power to produce calcium, Vitamin C is just what your body needs on a daily basis.
This article has hunted down 7 foods that will supply you with more than the required daily value (DV) of 60mg.
Understand the role of vitamin C in your body
Here are reasons why your body deserves an intake of vitamin C each and every day;
1. Healthy immune system
Vitamin C stimulates the production of the white blood cells, which in return fight disease -causing bacteria in the body.
Vitamin C, because of its antioxidant properties, helps keep white blood cells in check by protecting them against oxidative damage.
A healthy immune system has the ability to prevent clumping together of blood cells (platelets), a major factor that lowers the risk of heart diseases such as atherosclerosis (a condition characterized by formation of blood clots which clog the vessels, causing improper supply of blood in the body.
2. Healthy skin
Vitamin C helps combat free radicals that speed the aging process.
A decrease in the appearance of wrinkles is highly associated with an increased intake of vitamin C.
- Also Promotes clear and healthy skin by preventing accumulation and multiplication of the harmful bacteria that cause skin infections such as acne.
Vitamin C; in this case, helps reduce the effects of oxidative damage by factors such as stress and pollution.
3. Collagen synthesis
Collagen is a protein responsible for maintenance of proper functioning of the muscles.
Not only does vitamin C initiate Synthesis of collagen, but also maintains its level in the body. Collagen gives tissues elasticity and support. The best way to keep your body looking young and better is by consuming vitamin C containing foods in plenty.
Vitamin C also;
- Increases rate of wound healing.
- Reduce blood sugar in diabetic people.
- Treats allergy related infections when administered as a supplement.
- Restores dry skin.
- Reduces damage to the skin caused by prolonged sun exposure.
Signs of vitamin C deficiency
Here are the common signals the body sends when levels of vitamin C are below normal. Watch out for;
- Easy bruising
- Dry patches on the skin
- Slow wound healing
- Dry hair
- Uncontrolled hair breakage
- Bleeding gums
If you notice any of the above symptoms, visit your doctor for tests and investigations to rule out or confirm vitamin C deficiency. Prolonged lack of vitamin C causes Scurvy, a condition as a result of collagen breakdown.
Top Vitamin C Containing-foods
These foods are not only readily available at the grocery near you, but also highly affordable. The following list of foods will give your body a boost of other nutrients, together with the vitamin C it deserves.
Tomatoes are among the world’s healthiest foods.
Apart from containing lycopene, a compound excellent for its anti-inflammatory and cooling effects on the skin, tomatoes are also rich in vitamins.
Additionally, tomatoes contain fiber which is great for your digestive system (1).
- A medium-sized cup of tomatoes contains 120 mg of vitamin C, which is 200% of the recommended intake.
- Tomatoes can be eaten as salads or simply blended to make juice. Always shop for organic tomatoes which are thought to be richer in vitamins than all other varieties.
There are a million reasons why you will never go wrong eating an orange a day.
Oranges are full of fibers which mean they are packed with low calories. Oranges are widely known because of their natural sweetness and several varieties to choose from.
Besides, oranges can be planted during all seasons, maximizing the supply (2).
- Oranges are best eaten with their pulp; this will provide you with enough fibers highly needed for digestion. One medium sized orange contains 72 mg of vitamins C, a better intake than the daily recommended.
- Do not eat oranges that are already peeled, as sold by vendors. Vitamin C decreases when exposed to the sun or other conditions such as refrigeration.
Always consume your oranges as soon as you cut them for maximum benefits.
You have probably heard that berries help boost brain function.
Berries come in a variety of species that are all sweet and addictive (3).
- Also, berries are rich in fibers that promote proper digestion. Berries can be mixed with yogurt to make a smoothie or simply eaten as they are.
- A packet of 100 grams berries contains 140mg of vitamin C.A single serving of such is enough to meet the daily body requirement.
Strawberries are the most popular and delightful species of the berries rich in antioxidants good for the skin and heart functioning.
4. Green vegetables
Green vegetables are full of fibers for proper digestion.
Besides they are rich in vitamin C which provides the body with added benefits 100 grams of spinach, for instance, contains 130mg of vitamin C.
This means that by simply having a serving of such vegetable a meal a day, you will have attained the recommended amount. Some of these vegetables also help you sleep better.
You can never go wrong with this cruciferous vegetable (4).
Whether you eat it raw or cooked Broccoli will give you the vitamin C you need all day long.
Broccoli also has fiber amounting to 30 calories, 100grams of broccoli contains 142 mg of vitamin C. A single serving of Broccoli has your body sorted.
- Broccoli is versatile; it can be used in other dishes such as salads, pizza or even curry recipes.
Kiwi is widely known for its sweetness.
Amazingly just two medium sized kiwi fruits contain about 140mg of vitamin C making it a vitamin C powerhouse. Kiwi also contains high levels of potassium and magnesium which keeps the nerves properly functioning.
Kiwi can be eaten in salads and also turned into fruit juices and cocktails-whichever way you want to have it, just have it.
Simply a kiwi a day is enough to meet your daily value of vitamin C and keeps the doctor away.
7. Bell peppers
Bell peppers are great sources of vitamin C. They are highly nutritious and tasty.
- Bell peppers are known to improve eye sight and prevent cataract (a condition characterized by sudden cornea opacity, hindering proper eye-sight).
- Two medium-sized bell peppers contain 100 mg of vitamin C, which meets and surpasses the recommended daily intake.
Also note: The greatest health benefits from bell peppers are derived when eaten raw as compared to when cooked 🙂
Need vitamin B foods list? We’ve written it.